Innovation has gone a long way toward improving people’s lives. It has brought about inventions or processes to help people better. In the case of the car industry. Car manufacturers are looking into automating driving. Automation means that there is less to no human intervention when driving. Automation will help lower traffic accidents.
Consumers are not foreign to robotics or advanced AI’s. We’ve seen it in the movies, we’ve seen it in our homes, we’ve seen it everywhere. And we are about to see it in our automotive industry. In recent years, several prototypes have shown as potential vehicles models.
How do this work?
Automated vehicles have with the most comprehensive pieces of equipment. It has GPS, lasers, camera, sensors and so much more. Cars like this can handle driving with little or no intervention at all from a driver. There are five types of automation classification:
- Driver Assistance – only supports the driver but not take control.
- Semi-automation – can take control, but the driver remains responsible for the vehicle.
- Conditional automation – assumes control and the driver can disengage from periods of time. But must be ready to take control of the vehicle.
- High automation – independent driving. The driver should be available to take control of the vehicle if needed.
- Full automation – The system assumes all driving function. Can work in any traffic condition within the city driving restrictions. No driver required.
What does it mean for us?
Car vehicle driving is our primary form of transportation. It helps to get to our destination. But, accidents also happen on the road every day. People with disability get restricted about mobility.
- Avoid car accidents – vehicles get programmed to abides by traffic rules and regulation. It can check pedestrians crossing the streets. It's going to make the roads safer for driving.
- Elderly and PWDs – they cannot drive. But if they use automated driving but they will be able to travel farther.
- Flexibility – passengers have more flexibility to do other things aside from waiting.
- Accuracy – less chance of getting lost and lesser time trying to park in tight spaces.
Technology comes with high price and high reward policy. Innovations such as this can save lives and protect people from harm. Automated driving will give people more time to do other stuff than staying behind the wheel. It might take a couple more years before we see vehicles on full automation but at least the ball has rolled. The process towards perfecting this is underway.