Keeping the car clean and fresh ensures that you are able to prolong the car's paint and exteriors spot free. Besides, always bringing the vehicle over for car washes will risk the car’s exterior for damages because automatic car washes may sometimes use harsh products and brushes.
- Know the condition of the vehicle - A well-maintained car needs a regular wash and wax on a weekly basis. However, if you’ve neglected the car for quite some time, an additional polish is needed.
- Read the label - As with all products, make sure to read the label because there might be chemicals or compounds that may harm your vehicle. For example, using a chrome wheel cleaner which is extremely acidic on an aluminum wheel can ruin it. Each product is to be used based on the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Use the right products for washing the car - When washing the car, it’s not just about scrubbing and rinsing but also knowing which products to use. You can’t use laundry detergent or a dishwashing detergent to clean the car. There are appropriate products that are designed to clean the vehicle without harming or stripping away the wax.
- Prepare - After washing the vehicle, you will notice that there are light scratches, swirls, and oxidation in the car’s paint. When you ran your hand, you will also feel small bumps which means that there are contaminants that are not removed by washing. To remove the contaminants, you can use a clay bar. If you notice that there are more scratches, you can use compounds. The compound can be spread using an applicator pad or a polisher.
- Polishing and Waxing - Putting another layer of gloss and shine is not exactly required, but it adds another layer of protection for the vehicle. The car will get exposed to the harmful UV rays of the sun. By waxing the car, it prevents the car from fading from too much sun exposure.
- Car Maintenance - After cleaning the car and restoring its shine and luster, it’s essential to maintain the vehicle by using a microfiber cloth to remove dust and dirt. You can either use a spray detailer or a one-step car cleaner for those quick clean-ups.
- Wash the windows and the wheels - Lastly, to finish off, if the car’s exterior is clean. It is essential to make sure that the windows and the wheels are neat too. When cleaning windows, do not use regular glass cleaner as this may damage the car’s tint. Car wheels are created differently, when unsure of your car’s wheel type, use wheel cleaners which is acid-free and pH balanced.
5 Best Car Cleaning Products
- Meguiar’s Complete Car Care Kit
- 3M Auto Essentials Car Care Kit
- Duragloss 1049 Car Care Kit
- Armor All complete car care kit
- Turtle wax five-piece