What The Quickride Algorithm Is
Quickride Shuttles is powered by our proprietary algorithm. The goal of the algorithm is to assign/ dispatch/ distribute the rides to drivers in a way that minimizes each customer’s shuttle wait and ride time. This ride assignment is automatic; after a ride is created in the Command Center or in the Passenger App the algorithm sends that ride to the Driver App of the specific driver assigned.
How the Algorithm Assigns Rides
Single Driver Scenario
If only one driver is logged into the Driver App, any ride created is automatically assigned to the one driver. When a driver has multiple rides assigned at the same time, the algorithm orders/prioritizes the rides for the driver in their Driver App.
Multiple Driver Scenario
If two or more drivers are logged into the Driver App, each ride created is automatically assigned to a specific driver the algorithm selects. When drivers have multiple rides assigned at the same time, the algorithm also orders/ prioritizes the rides for each driver in their Driver App.
When assigning a ride and then determining ride order, the algorithm considers these factors:
- The driver’s or drivers’ current location(s) relative to the customer’s pick-up location
- The number of customers the driver or drivers already have assigned, relative to the number of seats available for customers in the shuttle
- The number of maximum simultaneous rides allowed as defined in Station Settings
- The customer’s drop-off location relative to other customers’ pick-up and drop-off locations
- The driving time to complete the ride, factoring in real-time traffic conditions
- The amount of time the customer has been waiting for their ride
- The amount of time the customer will be/ is on the shuttle before being dropped off
Ride assignment/ dispatching is complex. Occasionally, looking at just an individual customer’s wait time or an individual driver’s number of rides assigned, the algorithm result may not seem intuitive. However, the algorithm is in fact considering multiple factors simultaneously to get each customer where they need to go with the least amount of wait and shuttle ride time possible within a shared shuttle service. Therefore, the algorithm maximizes overall efficiency.
- How the algorithm generates and displays Estimated Time of Arrivals (ETAs) in the Command Center, Driver App, and Passenger App